The Aston Martin DB4 is a car introduced by the British manufacturer Aston Martin in 1958. The initials 'DB', identifying the model, refer to the name of the brand's owner David Brown1. It is a symbol of renewal for the brand and has created the image of value that makes it so successful today. It was also the first car to be produced in the Newport Pagnell factory.
The DB4's design owes much to the use of the 'Superleggera' technique developed by Carrozzeria Touring in Milan. The bodywork is made up of aluminium panels welded together and resting on a tubular frame; this type of structure makes for a light and aesthetically pleasing body.
From September 1961, a number of quite noticeable changes were introduced to the DB4 so that the AMOC and AMHT has designated such cars as 'series 4'. As the changes were mostly external and make this particular variant quite easy to identify. At the same time, AML introduced two further models to the DB4 range, the Convertible and the Vantage Saloon.
The ‘egg box’ style grille was replaced by a barred type with only seven vertical bars. The air scoop on the bonnet was substantially lowered and lost the grille. Both the lower bonnet air scoop and barred type grille lasted in production through the DB5 right through to the last variant of the DB6, the Mark II in 1970. The much needed oil cooler became a standard feature with it’s easy to spot intake under the front bumper although amazingly was a delete option.
Most series 4 DB4’s were fitted with the engine in standard tune with twin SU carburettors. It was also possible for the customer to specify both the Special Series /SS engine as used in the DB4 Vantage with triple SU carbs.